Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Motivation





Hello:)



      I really liked chapter 2 "Reading Reason's". Unfortunately reading is not my favorite subject. As a child I hated reading. I only read books that were assigned to me. I did not read for fun. Reading the assigned reading for this week has showed me that reading has so many rewards. I like the fact that the author stated that reading prepares you for life. There are some people that I know who never read food labels. There was a situation where expired cereal bars were being passed out at my job when they were all expired no one knew about it because no one took the time to read the labels. Two texts were read this week and the positions of the author were similar in that reading helps students improve academically. It was stated that reading should be everywhere not just in language art class rooms. I feel that throughout my school experience reading was sometimes used as a punishment. I was never encouraged to read for fun. Reading was simply for preparing for a quiz or an exam. When I had to read for an exam, I would just memorize what I needed to know. I never took time any to really enjoy a book.

            I believe that teachers should start making reading more fun for children. Telling kids to read because they have a quiz should not be a motivating tool. The topic this week was motivation and I think that motivation is key in education. If a student is motivated to read, they are going to enjoy what they read and want to read more books. If students are being pressured by pop quiz and exam, they are merely memorizing facts from the book to pass an exam. I therefore liked the reading that listed all of the great things that one can get from reading.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hendye, I'm enjoying your participation in class and this is a nice post. I'd like you to start pulling out specific quotes and ideas from the texts to support your ideas and experiences. I appreciate your contributions because I can see you are connecting the readings to your life. Be explicit about that connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that teachers should make reading fun for children. If kids hate reading from the beginning of their schooling career, then more than likely they are going to continue to hate it. It is our jobs as future teachers to make sure our students are engaged in reading and that they are excited to reaad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hendye,
    I agree with you that teachers should make reading fun. But, what is fun for children? I think fun reading includes fantasies, folktales, mysteries, adventures, etc. I think if teachers were able to pull from these types of genres, children will be fascinated with the types of things they are reading and it will foster their imagination. Imagination is a great tool for young children to develop because it allows them to be creative and think outside of the box. I know I struggled with projects even when I was a senior because I was not creative enough. Having a great sense of imagination can help boost a child's creativity and allow them to excel in different areas of education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just like you when I was younger. I only read because it was required. Reading always seemed like such a chore, which we all know are necessary but NOT FUN. I found the readings from this week to be very motivating. After reading these chapters I think I can be a better teacher because I can help change students opinions on reading! Now that I am older I wish someone had showed me how rewarding reading can be. I absolutely love to read now, and I feel as if I've missed out on so many years of good books and knowledge!

    ReplyDelete